Please find below information and application forms for Justice Catalyst Law’s open position. We welcome your application!
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Justice Catalyst Law is looking for an experienced paralegal to join our team. This is a brand new role, and we are looking for someone who is excited to be a part of building new systems and processes and growing with us. The paralegal will have wide-ranging administrative and substantive legal responsibilities on diverse projects to further economic justice, working closely with our legal team to support litigation.
A nonprofit organization founded in 2018, Justice Catalyst Law develops cutting-edge, interdisciplinary impact cases and legal strategies that advance economic justice. We specialize in fighting corporate or private actor abuses by applying multiple areas of law to new contexts. We bring a diverse set of nonprofits, advocates, and law firms together to develop, investigate, and litigate bold cases with broad impact. Our mission is to expand the legal system’s potential to provide meaningful accountability for the most powerful, and to bring justice and sustainable change to the communities that are most often left behind by our economic systems, with attention to racial and other longstanding inequities.
We seek to maximize our justice impact by generating and developing innovative case ideas and assembling the partners and teams to litigate them. Many of our cases involve novel application of antitrust or consumer law to counter private actors’ exploitation of workers, consumers, and other vulnerable groups. For a sample of our cases, please visit https://justicecatalyst.org/issues
We are a small, but highly collaborative team with a start-up culture and room to grow. We have an experimental mindset and encourage unconventional thinking and risk-taking. We value employee relationships, growth, and well-being, and strive to create an equitable, inclusive organization where everyone is a leader and a supporter. We are hardworking and dedicated, and we hold each other accountable, but we also care about one another. We take our work seriously, but we also love to laugh and have fun together — and we all care deeply about making the world a better place.
Justice Catalyst Law works closely with Justice Catalyst, a nonprofit organization that supports innovative legal work and runs a fellowship program for new attorneys seeking employment in public interest fields at nonprofits, government agencies, and other offices.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We believe that a variety of perspectives and backgrounds enriches and maximizes our work. We aim to assemble an applicant pool that is reflective of the world that we live in — one that is diverse in race, color, age, religion, ancestry, national origin, ethnicity, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, economic background, professional background, mental and physical abilities, and other traits that make us who we are.
We are also an organization made up of lawyers and non-lawyers, and we work with advocates, organizers, and clients from every walk of life. The right person for this role will be committed to listening to and learning from people with different life experiences and expertise.
JCL is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to any status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. We strongly encourage anyone who is interested in this opportunity to apply.
Manager: Legal Director
Location: Strong preference for being based in NYC or Washington D.C. Other locations may be considered in exceptional circumstances. This position may be performed remotely, with occasional travel required as necessary to attend litigation-related matters in-person, along with quarterly in-person staff meetings and/or retreats.
Schedule: Full-time, exempt, 40-hours per week, generally Monday-Friday 9:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Interviewing witnesses and/or potential clients and organizing and performing client intake responsibilities
- Drafting demands, motions, pleadings, discovery, subpoenas, and other legal documents
- Reviewing, proofreading, formatting, and finalizing legal documents and other correspondence
- Organizing and managing legal files
- Filing documents with federal and state courts
- Performing legal and investigative research
- Reviewing and organizing litigation files and documents, preparing summaries and other materials
- Coordinating the collection, review, and production of documents and responding to discovery requests
- Calendaring and managing important deadlines
- Helping coordinate among parties involved in litigation including co-counsel, opposing counsel, and clients
- Attending and providing assistance and support to witness depositions, hearings, and trials
- Helping build new tools and processes to improve efficiency
- Other duties as assigned by the Legal Director
- Strong legal research, investigation, and writing skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Experience and familiarity with applicable federal and state rules of civil procedure
- Experience and skill with review and organization of the high volume of documents often required in the course of complex and/or class action litigation
- Excellent organization and self-direction
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Adobe, sufficient to finalize legal filings
- Very strong people, interviewing, and listening skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, experimental work environment
- Enthusiasm for building new systems and processes in a new and growing organization
- Compassion, empathy, and enthusiasm for working in a highly collaborative environment
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least 3 years of experience as a paralegal/legal assistant
- Paralegal Certificate
- Passion for social and economic justice work
- Interest in working to help us grow as an organization long term
Compensation and Benefits
Justice Catalyst Law offers a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes an employer-sponsored medical, dental, and vision plan, a matching 401k plan (up to 4% of base salary), professional learning and development opportunities, paid bar and legal organization membership dues, flexible hours and ability to work remotely, and a generous vacation policy.
Please submit a resume and brief personal statement in the form below. Your personal statement should address:
- Why you want this job
- Your short-term and long-term professional goals
- How you might add diversity, of any kind, to the JCL team (Please note that this is optional)
- The professional accomplishment of which you are most proud