Attorney Position, Justice Catalyst Law
Starting Date: Accepting applications on a rolling basis
Who We Are
Justice Catalyst Law activates path-breaking approaches to social justice lawyering and affirmative litigation that have real-world, broad-scale impact to improve the lives of the low-wage workers and consumers in the United States. Justice Catalyst Law uses a variety of legal strategies to advance social and economic justice, primarily focusing on litigation against large private actors with the intent to catalyze systemic improvements, end abusive corporate conduct, and remedy their consequences.
Justice Catalyst Law specializes in developing and investigating bold cases with potential for broad impact alongside other nonprofit partners, which we then litigate with co-counsel. By focusing on developing litigation and partnering, we are able to multiply our impact, launching more projects than our small staff would otherwise allow. Our cases are typically (but not exclusively) class actions in the area of antitrust law, consumer law, employment law, or civil rights, and we specialize in applying those legal regimes to new contexts. In the last year, we filed 6 class actions against a variety of defendants, including Wells Fargo, the National Association of Realtors, Amway, the sureties backing the bail bond industry, and there are many more cases to come!
Justice Catalyst Law works closely with Justice Catalyst, a nonprofit organization that runs a fellowship program for new attorneys seeking employment in public interest fields at nonprofits, government agencies, and other offices.
Justice Catalyst Law is a new, innovative organization with a growing list of accomplishments, and we are looking for someone who will explore, build, and grow with us. You will work with a leadership team that values employee relationships, growth and well-being, and strives to create an equitable, inclusive system where everyone is a leader. And you will join a team of creative, fun, and extremely passionate people who care deeply about making the world a better place. We are looking for someone who will increase our case generation, development and litigation capacity. We are also looking to add new expertise and more diversity to the team. We want someone who is open to bold, ambitious litigation strategies.
Justice Catalyst Law currently has 4 lawyers, including the Executive Director. This position will work closely with all four of our lawyers, as well as with our diverse network of allies.
The job will be located at either our Brooklyn, NY, or Washington, DC offices. Candidates in California who are comfortable and experienced with remote work will also be considered.
You will be responsible for leading a subset of Justice Catalyst Law’s litigation projects, which would entail:
- Quickly researching and analyzing novel legal theories for advancing social or economic justice
- Conducting factual investigations into corporate abuses, including outreach to potential clients, interviewing witnesses, and online factual research
- Planning high-level legal and litigation strategies
- Finding and forging relationships with key allies
- Pitching case ideas to potential partners and co-counsel
- All aspects of early-stage litigation, including complaint drafting, briefings, and motions practice (this position is unlikely to involve trial work, but may involve oral argument at a pre-trial hearing)
- Limited discovery
This position is right for you if you:
- Have a pragmatic, flexible mindset, but also a high tolerance for creative and novel legal strategies
- Have strong oral and written presentation skills and are able to effectively communicate ideas to partners and advisory boards
- Thrive in a fast-paced work environment with sometimes shifting priorities and strategies
- Enjoy working in a highly collaborative environment, but are also self-directed and can work independently when needed
- Are open to asking questions, and sharing and learning from mistakes
- Enjoy working with a team that takes the work seriously but loves to laugh and have fun together; and a team that is honest, open and holds each other accountable, but also cares about one another
About You (Required)
- J.D. and bar admission to any U.S. jurisdiction
- At least 3 years of legal experience, including some litigation experience
About You (Preferred)
- Excellent legal research and factual investigation skills
- Expert understanding of bedrock legal principles in complex civil litigation
- Class action litigation experience
- Substantive expertise in one or more of the following areas of law: antitrust, consumer, civil rights, employment, corporate, securities, whistleblower, privacy
- Proficient Spanish speaking, reading and writing
Work Environment & Physical Demands
We have a flexible telework policy, but you will be expected to come to one of our offices several days a week. You will be stationed at one desk in an office, but you may sit or have a standing desk. Physical demands are likely limited to carrying laptops to and from work.
Compensation and Benefits
Justice Catalyst Law offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes an employer-sponsored medical, dental and vision plan, a matching 401k plan (up to 4% of base salary); professional learning and development activities and opportunities, paid bar dues, flexible hours and ability to work remotely upon approval, and a generous vacation policy.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe that a variety of perspectives and backgrounds enriches and maximizes our work. We aim to assemble an applicant pool that is reflective of the world that we live in – one that is diverse in race, color, age, religion, ancestry, national origin, ethnicity, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, economic background, professional background, mental and physical abilities, and other traits that make us who we are. We strongly encourage anyone who is interested in this opportunity to apply.
Please email your resume and a brief personal statement to Benjamin Elga, Executive Director (firstname.lastname@example.org), with the email subject line, “Application for Attorney Position.” In your personal statement, please answer the following questions:
- Which office(s) do you want to work at?
- Why do you want this job?
- What in your background makes you uniquely qualified for this job?
- How might you add diversity, of any kind, to the JCL team? (please note this question is optional)
- What is the professional accomplishment you are most proud of?